Club History

1898-1940

Two grass tennis courts were laid out on what was known as the Tennis Square in Drumchapel in 1898. The first proper recorded matches, which were friendlies, were played in 1904. Problems relating to wear due to excessive play, meant that both grass courts were replaced by blaes courts in 1920. In 1928 the club acquired a third court on a separate site backing on to the railway. A forth court was added in 1949, again on a separate site.

Prior to 1924 the club used a tent for changing purposes - erected in April and dismantled in September. A clubhouse was built in 1924. Before 1939 ladies matches were played in the afternoons, Gents played in the evenings.

1950-1990

During the 1950s the club experienced a boost in membership due to the construction of Drumchapel and Blairdardie. By the mid-1950s, two Gents teams, two Ladies teams and a Junior under-15 mixed doubles team competed in the West Leagues. A third Gents team was started a year later.

In September 1966 the clubhouse, which had been extended in 1959 was set on fire by vandals and completely destroyed. Undeterred by this set back, the Committee rebuilt the clubhouse. A membership drive to attract funds and new members resulted in Friday and Saturday night discos which attracted around 200 youngsters each time.

1990-present day

In June 1989 the clubhouse was again targeted by vandals and set on fire. Again the Committee rebuilt the building. This set back served to instill a fierce determination to improve the club. The blaes courts, after 68 years, were showing their age and giving rise to the what became known as the drummy bounce, often at a crucial point in a league match and not always in Drumchapels favour!

Fundraising continued at an amazing rate. Dances, jumble sales, raffles and even having a monster bonfire night raised sufficient cash for work on the three courts to commence in February 1992. That new porous macadam surface cost £34,000. Club members however added other contributions by erecting new fencing themselves.

That summer the late Donald Dewar, the local MP, formally opened the new courts. The Club is still bringing on great talent though and there is a list of Club achievements from 1960 to 2011.

We have been fundraising for the past couple of years and have managed to raise enough cash to replace the tennis surfaces on Courts 1-3.

This would not have been possible without the help of :


Sport Scotland-The Roberson Trust

Glasgow Life -Awards for All Lottery

THANKYOU FROM ALL AT DRUMCHAPEL


List of Achievements include:    

ClydesdaleCup Champions 1967

Gents First team senior Calcutta Cup Champs-1982

Gents first team promoted to Elite First Division-1982

Two players earn West of Scotland County Caps-1982

Junior Team win First Division having played three years unbeaten

Gents First Team- Junior Calcutta Champions-2008